Project work plan is started with WP1 – “FIEMSER Specification”, which will define the FIEMSER functional requirements, the main modules of the system, their interaction and the data model that will support FIEMSER platform. Once FIEMSER functionality and modules are defined, three workpackages will run in parallel: WP2 (Monitoring&Operation Tool), WP3 (Intelligent Control System) and WP4 (Multimodal User Interface). These workpackages will develop the 3 main components of the system.
- WP2 – “Monitoring&Operation Tool” provides the adequate tools to interact with the building (sensors and actuators) and its “context” (environmental conditions, utilities…). Interaction with building sensors and actuators will be based on wireless monitoring and control network.
- WP3 – “Intelligent Control System” will develop the control strategies that optimize the thermal and electrical energy management of the building in such a way that the building energy demand, energy cost and CO2 emissions are minimized. Local generation and energy storage systems will be managed.
- WP4 – “Multimodal User Interface” will develop a friendly user interface that will allow interacting with the control system through the TV.
- WP5 – “System Integration” will assemble these three main components to create the FIEMSER system.
- WP6 – “Validation” will validate the performances of FIEMSER platform in two real buildings in two different climatic areas, representative of the European weather conditions.
WP1: FIEMSER specification
The main goal of this work package is to provide FIEMSER project specific requirements and to define the different components through a joint design methodology that will involve the overall architecture model as well as components interfaces and communication protocols analysis. This will provide a Technical Specification Handbook for the next WPs.
- Task 1.1: Energy generation and consumption analysis in buildings (led by TENESOL)
- Task 1.2: Analysis and definition of the technical specific requirements (led by ACCIONA)
- Task 1.3: Architectural Design (led by TC)
- Task 1.4: FIEMSER data model definition (led by CSTB)
WP2: Monitoring & Operation Tool
The main goal of this WP is providing to the FIEMSER system with the adequate tools to interact with the building (sensors and actuators) and its “context” (environmental conditions, utilities,…), by:
- managing the different sources of information that have to be taken into account by FIEMSER system. Two main data sources will be managed: sensors network (temperature, luminance,…) and external information services (weather forecast, energy cost,…). Data validation strategies will be considered in order to correct incoherencies between sensors data and external data.
- developing the wireless control network that will collect the information about building and environment state and send the control orders to the actuators. This wireless network will be designed taken into account specific domain requirements, such as dealing with fluctuating link quality while maintaining a reliable and timely data delivery from one module to the next, or maximum power efficient to save battery power.
- Task 2.1: Definition of the wireless control network. (led by UCDNUID)
- Task 2.2: Implementation of wireless control network. (led by UCDNUID)
- Task 2.3: Implementation of the FIEMSER data manager. (led by CSTB)
WP3: Intelligent Control System
The main objectives of this work package will be the implementation of the control strategies for the energy management system. WP1 is in charge of specifying the functionality that an intelligent energy management system should have and within this work package the main functionalities will be implemented. Others not implemented but necessary for the execution of the system would be implemented in a very simple way.
The algorithms to be implemented will focus on the achievement of maximum energy efficiency and in the achievement of the minimum energy cost for the user, but taking into account the maintenance of the comfort level demanded by the user and represented by the constraints obtained through the MMI.
Based on the forecasted data about energy demand, local generation and storage capability and utility’s supply conditions, an optimized energy dispatching plan will be done for the next period (for instance, 24 hours). This initial dispatching plan will be refined in real-time in order to adapt the energy building management to real conditions. Although algorithms for a more active participation in managing the network, like responding to energy reduction/injection signals and condition negotiations will not be developed within this project, signals like prices forecasted will be taken into account during the optimisation process.
The work package will be divided into three tasks with a different degree of development depending on the importance for the aims of the project: Forecasting, Loads manager and Energy dispatcher.
- Task 3.1: Forecasting (led by FRAUNHOFER)
- Task 3.2: Loads manager (led by TECNALIA)
- Task 3.3: Energy dispatch (led by TENESOL)
WP4: Multimodal User Interface
The main objective of this WP is the development of a friendly user interface that is self-configurable to different terminals: control monitor, mobile devices and the digital TV. The main functionality of this interface will be the capture of the user preferences and control actions and advising him about potential actions to reduce energy costs and CO2 emissions.
- Task 4.1: Definition of the architecture of the User Interface (led by PCL)
- Task 4.2: Implementation of core services (led by TC)
- Task 4.3: Implementation of the web based user interface (led by TC)
- Task 4.4: Implementation of the digital TV user interface (led by PCL)
WP5: System Integration
The main objectives of this WP is the integration of the three main components (wireless control network, Intelligent Control System and the User Interface) to create the FIEMSER system.
This work package will be in charge of developing the interfaces that allow the integration of the different components, the design of the testing protocols for different purposes and the provision of feedback to work packages 2, 3 and 4.
This work package will take as inputs the results of work packages 2, 3 and 4, which are the components to be integrated and the results of tasks 1.3 and 1.4, that describe the architecture to be built and the data models to be used for integration purposes.
- Task 5.1: Interfaces development (led by CSTB)
- Task 5.2: Pair integration and testing of components (led by CSTB)
- Task 5.3: Complete system integration (led by TC)
WP6: FIEMSER Validation
The main objective of this WP is validating the FIEMSER system in real life conditions in two main climatic areas in Europe: the Mediterranean climate and the Continental climate FIEMSER’s performances in Mediterranean climate will be validated in the KUBIK building. KUBIK is a 3 floors + cellar experimental building that is located in Spain, at TECNALIA’s facilities. This building is fully monitored and includes local generation units and energy storage units.
FIEMSER’s performances in Continental climate will be validated in the VERU building. The VERU experimental building is a test facility for energy and ergonomic investigations. VERU is a 3 floors experimental building that is located in Germany. As well as measuring consumption for heating, hot water, air-conditioning and ventilation, the Fraunhofer is also investigating the various ergonomic aspects of lighting solutions in their actual environment.
Both buildings have the same monitoring and control system. Consequently, the integration of FIEMSER with these validation environments will be optimized, because FIEMSER will only need to be integrated with one monitoring and control system.
- Task 6.1: Definition of FIEMSER validation scenarios (led by FRAUNHOFER)
- Task 6.2: Integration of FIEMSER in testing facilities (led by FRAUNHOFER)
- Task 6.3: Validation of FIEMSER system (led by TECNALIA)
WP7: Exploitation & Dissemination
The main goal of this WP is to exploit and disseminate the results of the project and to define plans for the exploitation and dissemination of the results during and after the end of the project. These actions will include the contribution to the standardization of the 6LowPAN wireless control profiles and data models that will be defined in the project.
- Task 7.1: Project Web Site. (led by TECNALIA)
- Task 7.2: Dissemination. (led by TC)
- Task 7.3: Exploitation. (led by TENESOL)
To coordinate the project in order to achieve its objectives and results on quality within the framework of costs and time. To promote the collaboration among the partners. To produce timely the reports for the European Commission and to prepare the technical meetings foreseen in the work program.
This task only considers the overall management of the project. The day by day management activities are considered as any other RTD activity.
- Task 8.1: Administrative & Financial Co-ordination. (led by TECNALIA)
- Task 8.2: Monitoring and Reporting. (led by TECNALIA)